Monday, April 19, 2010

Tony's Darts Away

Last week a truly remarkable bar opened up in Burbank, of all places. Its called Tony's Dart's Away. This place has something for everyone.

With over 30 local California beers on tap, no respectable beer conusour can turn this place down.  I've already been twice in their first week.


As if that weren't enough to make it stand out, It's also a eco conscious business that strives to operate sustainably.

I arrived at the bar last Wendnesday night - giddy and ready to fall in love. Feeling too eager to wait for my friend, I decided to shoulder my inherient awkwardness and plunge on in. I was immediately greeted by Tony, the new owner responsible for revamping the bar, who thrust a menu in my hand and ushered me to a bar stool. He poured me up some divine samples to try, until I finally settled on the heavenly heff.

Tony really loves beer. He's met the brewers and can tell you stories about them. He's genuine and eager and a little goofy. The bar has a cozy wood interior that makes you feel like this place has always existed (and it kinda has). The walls are lined with vintage beer paraphenarilia, and various shelves are crammed with books big and small willing to tell you everything they know about beer.

Nestled in the back is a pool table along with, yes, a dart board. The place is so welcoming I instantly feel like a regular, and I have to admit part of me (not so) secretly hopes that this place doesn't become too popular.

Tony also sports a small local wine menu, and a miraculous food menu that is half vegan. Thats right. V-E G-A-N. Food. In a bar. One can choose from an intresting array of salads, fried goodies, salty goodies, and a mind boggling array of both vegan and meaty sausages.

I can not tell you how many times in my life I have wished a bar served vegan food. Even in LA it is unheard of. I would have settled for bad vegan food, but luckily I no longer have too.

I paid my second visit on Sunday, deciding to stop in for some lunch and share a beer with the BF on my way to work. It was a quite afternoon, Tony was there to greet me and thank me for coming back. We sat next to a local man (and by local I mean he lived a matter of blocks away). big and beardy, a car buff who had been going to Tony's for years because it was next to his favorite car apohlstry store. He and his gang had not taken kindly to the change in management Tony's. Apparently it used to be a real divey joint. By divey I don't mean the Hollywood hipster romantisized version of divey for young minds to meet and build up the courage to conquere their slice of the world. I mean a place for big guys to go to every weekend and drink crappy booze and talk about cars, sports, and anything else thats light enough to float. It was a treasue, a constant, an integral part of a routine for a local community.  Apparently the level of discontent was so high, harsh words were even hurled at poor Tony.

This guy sat hunched on his stool, slightly weary, slightly not at home. It reminded me a bit of the feeling I got when I returned home from college and realized my bedroom was now just a guestroom and my parents had pushed the dinning room table against the wall so that I no longer had a regular seat. He was bummed he couldn't order a Corona and shyly admitted he didnt even know what to try. A gentle giant however, he took kindly to the waitress's sweet talking. He sampled some suggested beers and settled on one quickly, smacking his lips and asking to try somethign else. He took her up on her (non vegan) sausage suggestion and absolutely loved it. I swear I blinked and the thing was gone.

I made me happy to know that a place like this - made from sincerity, honesty, and personality - had enough charm to woo anyone who walked through its slanted doors.

Oh and have I mentioned that the prices are ridiculously good? Pints as cheap as $4:50!

P.S. Its also walking distance from Yummy Cupcake!

No comments:

Post a Comment