Friday, January 14, 2011

CSA BOXES


Most people start blogs because they want to be on the cutting edge of disseminating information. Success comes in being the first to expose their readers to the wonderful treasures they've unearthed - all under the guise of wit and brevity.

For me keeping a blog is just a constant reminder of how behind the curve I am. And even when I am among the first to know something, I'm usually still the last to share it. Speed is not my thing. I'm a slow-moving and reflective creature. So rather than enter the information race,  I consider this place an online archive of all the fascinating food-related thoughts I come across. If they fascinate anyone else - well that's pretty neat. 

A few months ago I discovered a wonderful program that, sigh, has been around for a while and already well known to many. 

CSA BOXES. - " Community Supported Agriculture"



 A farmer offers a number of "shares" to the public. (In my experience a weekly share is about $20). When one purchases a share, one receives once a week (in most cases) a box full of local produce from that farm. Read more of the specifics here.

Its really kind of an exciting surprise what will be in your box. My first box had kale, purple basil (exciting!), a huge watermelon, more types of squash than I knew, and diakon to name a few.

It was a great challenge for a vegetable phobic person like me. I spent a while figuring out some of the more obscure items (ahem, daikon) with the help of the Internet. And I cooked a lot more. Potato and kale enchiladas, squash enchiladas, and a wonderful tomato and roasted eggplant stew adapted from "Veganomicon." It was so so so good that I forgot how much I am creeped out by eggplant (I've probably had it a total of five times in my life, mostly on accident or due to intense peer pressure).

I have to admit I gave the watermelon away - not my thing.

Its hard for one person to keep up with the amount of food that comes in one box once a week, every week. Especially when working long hours. So I prefer to get mine from the South Central Farmers - I can go on a week to week basis and take breaks when I'm overwhelmed (or waiting out the end of squash season).


No comments:

Post a Comment