Wednesday, January 20, 2010

And so it begins

What do I want out of this blog? Well the truth is my goals are primarily personal and secondarily social. In this blog I hope to find a collaborative and exploratory space that allows me to grow in my ability to express myself through writing. I've chosen to tackle the rather broad and ambiguous topic of "All things food" because that is my most interesting obsession (although it ranks highly with "Batman" "Sharks" and "Finding an Awesome Job")

What to Expect. On any given day one might find an article on the latest delicious dish I have mastered in the kitchen, a scathing rant on the public schools inability to properly feed students, a giddy ode to a restaurant I adore, or a lament of the atrocities of industrialized food production, and much much more. My interest knows no bounds.

Food intrudes into politics, connects us with our culture or offers us a way into another’s culture. What we eat can be influenced by our philosophical, moral, or religious beliefs and thus it is an intrinsic part of who we are. What we like brings us together or distinguishes us from others. Cooking is considered both an art form or a hobby, and eating can be either an indulgence or a necessity. How we eat, what we eat, when we eat and with whom we will eat offer a wealth of insight. Food production and consumtion affects our bodies, minds, all creatures big and small, the environment, the economy, whole ecosystems and civilizations.

So rather than wasting too much time trying to figure it all out and offer a clear (if not concise) definition - I will let this blog be what it will. I will write about what interests me and see what course this takes, and one day I hope to gain some perspective and insight. Some readers would be nice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment