Saturday, January 23, 2010

Cornbread Muffins & Hiking -> Pure Luck & Scoops



I kicked off my morning with some yummy yummy cornbread muffins, whipped up on the spur of the moment from Dr. Oetker's Organic Baking mixes (I used egg replacer for the one egg required). Cornbread is something I oddly crave often and rarely encounter in vegan form. These were wonderful, sweet with just the right cornmeal texture. I find so often with food that texture is everything - especially when dealing with vegan or vegetarian food that is attempting to be a kind of homage to their meaty counterparts. If something is mush when it should crunch or runny when it should be thick, it throws a bad light on the taste. These muffins held there own, warm and crumbly and particularly enjoyable with a dollop of agave nectar (Ever since i made the impulse purchase at whole foods I've been seeking out opportunities to use my agave).

Armed with the success of a good breakfast, I sat out on a hiking adventure with some friends to Santa Ynez Falls. One of these days I'll find a way to do proper justice describing the wonder of tramping through a forest. I think the effect is particularly striking after spending an hour elbowing my car through traffic to get there. I think many would agree, LA can be quite claustrophobic and unyielding. Whereas nature is welcoming and completely supple. For a few hours my friends and I found inspiration while scrambling over rocks, tripping into creaks, and sliding down mudbanks.

This evening, after rewarding my bruises and scrapes with a hot bath, the BF and I headed off to Pure Luck for a BBQ meets Mexican delicious dinner. Pure Luck has introduced me to the wonder that is jackfruit, and its eerie ability to sub in for carnitas. I also owe them for surprising me with the joy of pickle chips and garbanzo bean salad. The best part of Pure Luck is being able to walk across the street and find ice creme heaven in Scoops. Bright blue tile, local art featured on the walls, and a giant mobile made out of colorful oversize plastic spoons, are some of its more notable features. O fcourse the heart of the place comes from Scoops' assortment of quirky flavors (both vegan and not) - from bacon and cheese to chocolate and Guinness. I enjoyed a helping of Oreo cheesecake while Adam chose Oreo mascarpone.

No comments:

Post a Comment